harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: [arch] VM/Classlibrary interface
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 10:48:53 GMT
Rodrigo Kumpera wrote:
> Last time I checked, no one, nether me or you, is developing code agains the
> TCK, but to a real JVM. And as hard as we may try, sometimes we end with
> software that depends on unspecified behavior. So it's better try to be "bug
> compatible" too.

If you end up with software that depends on unspecified behaviour, then
it is either

a) your deliberate decision, then you probably have a very, very good
reason to tie yourself to the particular revision of the particular
platform, or

b) an accidental mistake, then you fix the small bug in your code, feel
better about the quality of your code, and move on.

Neither a nor b requires anyone to be "bug compatible" as a) is not a
bug in anyone's code, and b) is something you'll want to fix in your
code, if you care about the quality of your code, rather then working
around your bugs in everyone's class library code, and breaking other
people's applications.

Regarding usage of implementation specific classes, I believe that most
developers using the Java programming language are familar with the
warnings not to use implementation-specific classes or to rely on their
behaviour, names, presence or anything esle.

cheers,
dalibor topic