harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tor-Einar Jarnbjo <Tor-Ei...@Jarnbjo.de>
Subject Re: [arch] VM/Classlibrary interface
Date Fri, 27 May 2005 22:25:17 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> (Tomcat : I'd bet they fixed that (or will fix...))

It doesn't seem so. The SSL code has been in Tomcat versions 4.1.x to
5.5.9 and I just saw that also the LDAP code in Tomcat 5.5.9 uses
classes in com.sun.

> Well, can't the VM just prevent non-kernel code from using them?
> Maybe overhead too high?

How do you distinguish "kernel code" and "non-kernel code"? From the VM
point of view, the classes in the java(x).* packages do not differ from
user code classes and it is also possible to bootstrap the VM and
replace java(x).* classes with own implementations. Been there, done that.

Tor