harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: [arch] The Third Way : C/C++ and Java and lets go forward
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 14:59:17 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:
>>> Are you suggesting we do it w/ JC?  :)  Is there a single copyright
>>> holder such
>>
>> I'll have to abstain from the voting on that :-)
>
> I am not sure why not :)
>
> I think that what Geir is proposing is that Harmony start from some
> exisitng codebase that is hacking on and reworked as part of a
> "learning" experience for everyone as part of a stepping stone before
> the "real" VM is rewritten once the committers understand the space
> (community and technical). If you think JC is a good place to start for
> this then speak up - but you must realize that it may end up being
> hacked a million different ways and not look like JC at all in the end.
> And it may get thrown out as people start on the next VM. If you are
> comfortable with that then ...

I have no problem with that.. with a project like this everyone has
to accept that creative destruction will happen and not be afraid to
alter cherised paradigms along the way.

If taking the "check in an existing VM and start hacking on it" approach
then probably JC is as good a candidate as any.

> Both you and Steve have suggested the same sort of approach - namely
> that Harmony look at different ideas implemented in different JVMs and
> scoop the cream of the crop off the top. However not everyone here has
> the experience and background to highlight the important aspects of
> different JVMs. So what I would suggest is that you both start a list
> either in Wiki or in subversion  that highlights these areas and where
> they are implemented and the papers in which they described etc. This
> will make it much easier for other people to make an informed decision.

That's a good idea... I've made a small start..

   http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/JVM_Implementation_Ideas

-Archie