harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackburn <Steve.Blackb...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Inventory of assets
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 01:15:31 GMT
The wealth of ideas that are coming to the table is impressive.

I suggest that we establish some sort of inventory of our "assets"
(presumably on the wiki).  I think that such a resource will be
enormously helpful to a project like this one which is trying to bring
together a huge pool of enthusiasm, prior work and outstanding
research.  If this project could produce a VM that literally combined
the best of all of the work at the table, it would be a formidable VM
indeed.

By "assets", I mean everything from the concrete (donated code), to the
more abstract (resources such as papers like the one Andy posted to the
list yesterday).  I think that if we maintain this as we go along, it
could prove to be a really valuable resource.  To me this is our
strength---so many different individuals bringing different expertise to
the project, from code to ideas.  If we can catalog that wealth and
therefore have it at our collective fingertips, I think the chances of
this project capitalizing on those ideas and doing really exciting
things will increase greatly.

I can imagine a tree like structure, with leaves on the tree being
assets, each one described briefly---if code, then the level of
availability and license, and perhaps a summary with pointers to more
info.  If a paper, then a short summary and a pointer, etc etc etc.  For
example, I think all of the VMs we're aware of should be leaves of a VM
node in the tree.  The Boehm collector adn MMTk are obvious leaves of
the VM.GC node.  The paper Andy raised could be added to
VM.interpreter.  It may in fact be a graph, with, JamVM, for example
getting a mention under VM.interpreter as well as VM and OVM could be
under VM and VM.java-in-java, etc etc etc.  In a relatively short period
of time, this could become a great repository of the state of the art in
VM design and implementation.

It may then be that the technical FAQ simply becomes a set of references
to the inventory of ideas.

--Steve