harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Brad Cox <bradj...@gmail.com>
Subject Sun lashes out at open source J2SE
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 21:51:34 GMT
http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/2135503

    Sun lashes out at open source J2SE

            Apache plans dubbed 'destructive'

Sun Microsystems has expressed "serious doubts" about the usefulness of
the latest Apache Foundation project to create an open source
implementation of the Java 2 Standard Edition (J2SE).

In an interview with *vnunet.com* <http://www.vnunet.com>, James
Gosling, Java creator and Sun vice president in charge of the
programming language, explained that he did not understand why the open
source consortium was undertaking the project.

"I would never do that," he said about Apache's Project Harmony. "There
are so many more interesting things to do with my life."

The Apache Foundation announced the project *earlier this month*
<http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/2127323>. The organisation aims to
collect a group of developers and create an open source implementation
of the J2SE, which is needed to run Java code on a desktop computer.

Sun requires J2SE implementations to pass rigorous testing requirements
before they can call themselves Java compliant. While this ensures
compatibility between the different J2SEs, it also means that the
functionalities of the final product are identical to Sun's existing
offering.

Sun put the detailed requirements in place to prevent "forking", a
fragmentation of the language that would force software developers to
certify their code for each fork.

A similar development with Linux allowed Red Hat and SuSE to become the
de facto standards. Major software vendors, such as Oracle and Computer
Associates, now certify their software only for these Linux distributions.

Sun welcomes contributions from outside the company to the source code,
and has a Java Community Process in place to foster discussion within
the developer community and encourage input on the future direction of
the language.

The inability to fork Java is the only major difference between the
software licence that Sun uses for Java and the GPL-like licence that
the Apache Foundation will use, according to Gosling.

"[Apache] says a lot of words about why they want to do it. Exactly why
is it critical to have a delta between our source licence and the source
licence that they think is appropriate?" he said.

"I understand why they would like it to be different. From our point of
view that would actually be more destructive than helpful. It boils down
to forking: they believe that the ability to fork is an absolutely
critical right."

Gosling claimed that Java developers of enterprise software support Sun
in its refusal to open the source code of Java. But they are eclipsed by
more vocal open source advocates.

"If we could get the enterprise software architects to be as vocal as
the Slashdot crowd, it would be a really interesting discussion," he said.

Sun will not contribute to the project, Gosling said, revoking a comment
that another Sun vice president made on his blog earlier.

"We hardly have the energy to work on our [J2SE implementation]. We'll
be glad to get co-operative and helpful, but there is only so much
energy that is free and donatable," Gosling told *vnunet.com*
<http://www.vnunet.com>.

software developer with the Foundation, told /vnunet.com/ that Apache
does not aim to fork Java.

An open source J2SE implementation could allow the software to spread to
new devices, according to Magnusson, who pointed out that Sun's J2SE
only supports Solaris, Linux and Windows.

"This is about producing a J2SE implementation that can be taken and
ported and used in more places," he said.

"If I am building a device that uses Java and I could get a complete
J2SE implementation from Apache, then we would have a new place for Java.

"It would be nice if every Linux distribution came with Java. Java
should be like a dial-tone."

Magnusson added that current J2SE providers, such as IBM, BEA and Sun,
all have to build and test their own software. An open source
implementation would allow them to share that work.

He is not surprised by Sun's lack of enthusiasm about his latest
project, however. Magnusson has spoken with the company about Harmony
and has invited it to participate. "Sun is a little sceptical that we
are able to do it," he said.

Sun has provided Magnusson with a slot at the upcoming Java One
conference from 27-30 June in San Francisco.

The development of the open source J2SE software is expected to take
several years.