harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tor-Einar Jarnbjo <Tor-Ei...@Jarnbjo.de>
Subject Re: [arch] The Third Way : C/C++ and Java and lets go forward
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 21:31:17 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> (for the record, this isn't about "not doing Java" or "not doing
> JikesRVM", but rather my understanding that we'll need a small C/C++
> kernel to host the modules, no matter how they are written, and this
> is a way to get that going...)

Excuse me if I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be necessary to
implement parts of the VM or the class library in native code anyway?
I'm thinking about code to access e.g. resources like I/O devices, sound
etc.? Or is this discussion C vs Java restricted to the bytecode
executing part of the VM?

Tor