harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: [arch] The Third Way : C/C++ and Java and lets go forward
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 19:04:49 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> a) Respectfully petition JamVM for a one-time license grant of the
>> codebase under the Apache License that we can start with.  We would
>> use this as our base kernel, refactoring out the modules that we
>> decide on in II above, and working to implement those modules in
>> whatever makes sense - Java or C.  Robert brought up this issue on
>> the list, so I have responded w/ a request on this list

Just something to consider..

JamVM is optimized for size (and succeeds incredibly well at that),
not necessarily completeness. For example, I don't think that it
supports class loader unloading or soft/weak/phantom references (Robert
please correct me if this is wrong). Those are non-trivial bits to
have to design and write from scratch, and retro-fitting them into
an existing VM could potential require significant rework.

-Archie