harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: Other interesting papers and research
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 00:37:06 GMT
acoliver@apache.org wrote:
> The approach of using C Compiler generated code rather than writing a
> full compiler appeals to me:
> http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~csc586a/papers/ertlgregg04.pdf
>
> I am curious on how well the approach performs compared to existing JITs.

I'm admittedly biased, but the approach of using the C compiler has
some good benefits, mainly in portability. This is especially true for
architectures like x86 that have a complicated instruction set, where
optmization is a subtle art. Though JC uses the C compiler as a WAT
instead of a JIT, it is very portable (to any architecture that GCC
targets) as a result. To the extent that portability is a goal, this
might make sense as an approach to take, at least initially.

-Archie