harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 09:58:57 GMT
Weldon Washburn wrote:
> On 5/19/05, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>This is why I would like Harmony to have two VMs, one written in java
>>and one written in C-or-friends: this would give us
>

> Well, I suspect if we design the interfaces correctly, we could do the
> above with one JVM instead of two.   Two competing Harmony
> implementations means ultimately one of them must die.  Harmony really
> needs one quickly evolvable code base.

I'm not sure I believe that - it seems entirely plausible to me that
versions with different targets can happily coexist. This is
particularly true if we succeed with the modularity aim - look at httpd
- there are several different ways to do any particular thing, and with
good reason. Obviously there is some immutable core, but that's
relatively small.

>  The concept is to write the
> JVM in 100% C/C++ today.   Rationale:  C/C++ is battle tested for
> building OS and compiler systems.  Set a goal of rewritting the JIT in
> Java/C# by 2007.  If IT shops are happy deploying Harmony with the JIT
> written in Java, then set a goal of rewriting 90% of the VM in Java/C#
> by 2009.

You'd still need the bootstrapping non-Java VM for this, wouldn't you?

>> 1) the goal of making things modular enough to allow to swap things
>>around and allow parallel development
>
> Yes!  Although it will be more challenging to create interfaces that
> will work for both Java and C/C++, I suspect the end result will be
> worthwhile.

Geir and I have been discussing this, I think we should try to put
together a more concrete proposal.

Cheers,

Ben.