harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ewout Prangsma <ew...@prangsma.net>
Subject VM candidate/knowledge : JNode
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 05:15:51 GMT
Hi all,

Since I heard you're investigating several VM options, so I want to
inform you of the JNode virtual machine.

JNode.org is an open source java operating system that is written almost
entirely in java. Only a very small nano-kernel is written in assembler,
no C is used at all.

The virtual machine of JNode.org is implemented in java itself and works
by compiling java bytescodes to native code. Currently we support x86
and x86_64 code generators.
JNode makes use of the Classpath runtime libraries and now contains our
own memory management & GC solution, but we're currently integrating the
MMTk memory manager that was originally developed for JikesRVM.

The JNode VM currently supports most of the J2SE 5.0 language features,
except for annotations (they can be compiled in, but not retrieved at
runtime).
Besides this, we're in the process of implementing Isolate (JSR 121)
support. The low level VM support for this is already there.

The current status of the JNode operating system is still very
development like, but we're well able to run several java programs and
we have support for several filesystems, a tcp/ip layer, an early
graphics layer and various drivers for netword cards, video cards,
harddisk controllers etc.
All info can be found on http://jnode.org

I can offer you guys knowledge about writing a java VM in java in a
fully self contained environment.
Code contributions can also be thought of, but then several issues
(mainly licensing) have to be discused.

If you want to know more, please let me know.

Ewout