harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Against using Java to implement Java (Was: Java)
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 13:15:32 GMT
Steve Blackburn wrote:

> Keeping a leading-edge
> JVM at the leading edge is a lot of work---this is a fast moving field.

Yes and I don't think anybody believes that is likely to go away even if
we manage to get Harmony off the ground.

At the same time, Apache shows in a number of project how distributed,
parallel collaboration, lazy consensus and incremental evolution can
normally lead to a more organic and optimized evolution of a software
project, means that it might not have the same amount of energy injected
in the system as a commercial venture, but being its efficiency higher,
the result can potentially be even faster than commercial venues.

For more info on why this is, see my presentation at OSCON04 on
"darwinian software development"

http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/papers/oscon2004.pdf

--
Stefano.