harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackburn <Steve.Blackb...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 08:44:41 GMT
acoliver@apache.org wrote:

> The problem of Java written JVM/JIT isn't one of performance.  You can
> theoretically achieve the same performance (although I'm not 100%
> convinced, I'm partially there) especially if you're willing to
> "extend" Java for the purpose of writing Java.
>
> That being said...doing so in a portable and platform independent way
> is actually HARDER in Java than in C (and by C I mean
> C/C++/Objective-C...whatever).  Read the Sable paper...  you'll see
> what I mean :-)

I don't see how it follows.  The Sable paper is a PhD thesis describing
the design of Sable VM, which is written in C and is portable.  What
does that say about the relative difficulty of doing it in Java?

Further, it is important to differentiate architectural portability from
OS portability.

OS portability in a VM like Jikes RVM is very easy since there is a very
well defined narrow interface to the OS, written in C.

Architectural portability is a different issue altogether.  If your VM
has a JIT, then you will need a new back end (regardless of whether the
JIT is written in C or Java).

--Steve