harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackburn <Steve.Blackb...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: Against using Java to implement Java (Was: Java)
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 13:36:58 GMT
This subject has been covered in detail at least twice already.

There is no need for any function call on the fast path of the
allocation sequence.  In a Java in Java VM the allocation sequence is
inlined into the user code.  This has considerable advantages over "a
few lines of assembler".  Aside from the obvious advantage of not having
to express your allocator in assembler, using Java also compiles to
better code since the code can be optimized in context (register
allocation, constant folding etc), producing much better code than hand
crafted assembler.

However this is small fry compared to the importance of compiling write
barriers correctly (barriers are used by most high performance GCs and
are executed far more frequently than allocations).  The same argument
applies though.  The barrier expressed in Java is inlined insitu, and
the optimizing compiler is able to optimize in context.

Modularization does not imply any of this.

--Steve