harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Against using Java to implement Java (Was: Java)
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 11:44:18 GMT
David Griffiths wrote:
> By having the JIT produce code to inline the object allocation using
> its knowledge of the GC internals. I'm not recommending this approach,
> just saying that this is how things tend to be done in practice. And
> if you want to compete on speed then you're going to have to address
> the issue. (This seems to be an area where Java in Java wins if I
> understand it right, ie you can have your modularity cake and eat it
> too).

Well, inlining stuff sometimes makes things faster (though it sometimes
doesn't). But I'd be seriously surprised if object allocation was simple
enough to make it worthwhile.

I do take the point, however, that using dispatch tables without
embellishment does preclude inlining.

It doesn't take me a huge leap to imagine including a function in the
dispatch table that would do inlining instead of finding the appropriate
function, though.

Cheers,

Ben.