harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 10:45:18 GMT
Ozgur Akan wrote:

> Actually Jikes uses it`s own VM and has a part written in C. This makes
> things a little bit different.

Huh, yes. It makes a completely different light on Harmony project.
Perhaps the Harmony project should start as Jikes based proposal.
Now that people get enthusiastic about building something new and
technologically advanced, seems we are going to use the existing
technology after all with exiting JVM and existing classpath library.

> If we are talking about the architecture of Jikes, like how it
> implemented GC etc., then yes it is not time to speak about performance.

Not sure what Gair had in mind, but that was mine concern about
premature optimization.

Regards,
Mladen.