harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Panagiotis Astithas <p...@ebs.gr>
Subject Re: Developing Harmony
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 10:08:36 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:
> Mark Brooks wrote:
>
>>> C++, just C++, is a recipe for trouble. Most projects that use it
>>> define a
>>> subset to make development a less painfull talk. Usually operator
>>> overloading, templates and virtual inheritance are discarded.
>>>
>>> Rodrigo
>>

>> Agreed.  If the decision is to go with C++, it will need to be a
>> subset of C++ for sanity.  I still think that, at most, a minimal C
>> kernel and the rest in Java is a better option.

>> If you aren't a Java fan, why are you interested in Harmony?  Or am I
>> misinterpreting what you meant there?
>

> Surely I don't have to rate Java as the best language for everything in
> order to be interested in Harmony? I don't think HTTP or SSL are the
> best ways to do things, either, but I've spent an enormous amount of
> time on both of them.
>
> There's all sorts of reasons I'm interested in Harmony.
>
> a) I recently tried Eclipse, and discovered it removed a major source of
> Java irritation (excessive amounts of redundant typing). In fact, I love
> Eclipse. If only I could get it working on FreeBSD :-)

Since the java/eclipse port is working fine, I assume you want to use it
with another JVM than java/jdk14? If so, and since this is something I
was contemplating these days, under which JVM would you want to use it?
Kaffe? GCJ? JC? JikesRVM?

--
Panagiotis Astithas
EBS, Electronic Business Systems Ltd.