harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Developing Harmony
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 09:57:05 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:
> This has to be a VM that produces native code, right?
>
> In any case, here I am with a platform that currently has no VM, but
> does have a C compiler. What do I do?
>
> In your world, I first port some other VM, then port Harmony. I don't
> understand why this is not harder?

Because the "other" VM can be a minimalistic interpreter which is much
easier to port/write. This "other" VM bootstraps the java VM and that
does the jitting and machine code generation etc. It seems that it is
generally easier to optimize this way (ie Jikes RVM inlining of mem
allocations).

I am hoping that this is what this project does - Take an interpreter
(maybe jcvm) to bootstrap something like jikes.