harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Developing Harmony
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 08:25:17 GMT
Mark Brooks wrote:
>> C++, just C++, is a recipe for trouble. Most projects that use it
>> define a
>> subset to make development a less painfull talk. Usually operator
>> overloading, templates and virtual inheritance are discarded.
>>
>> Rodrigo
>

> Agreed.  If the decision is to go with C++, it will need to be a subset
> of C++ for sanity.  I still think that, at most, a minimal C kernel and
> the rest in Java is a better option.
>
>> > As I said before, don't assume we're all Java fans here. I'm far more
>> > familiar with C++ than I am with Java.
>>
>>> <snip>
>>

>> > Ben.
>

> If you aren't a Java fan, why are you interested in Harmony?  Or am I
> misinterpreting what you meant there?

Surely I don't have to rate Java as the best language for everything in
order to be interested in Harmony? I don't think HTTP or SSL are the
best ways to do things, either, but I've spent an enormous amount of
time on both of them.

There's all sorts of reasons I'm interested in Harmony.

a) I recently tried Eclipse, and discovered it removed a major source of
Java irritation (excessive amounts of redundant typing). In fact, I love
Eclipse. If only I could get it working on FreeBSD :-)

b) I'm interested in capability-secure versions of popular languages.
Java is a popular language.

c) I'm interested in security generally.

d) I'm interested in compilers.

e) I'm interested in VMs.

f) I'm interested in modularity.

g) I'm interested in portability.

So, in summary, my interest is in the nuts and bolts of Harmony far more
than in writing things in Java.

That said, I do write things in Java :-)

Cheers,

Ben.