harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cross plaform issues
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 07:41:17 GMT
Rodrigo Kumpera wrote:
> A quick look at APR reveal that it doesn´t provide all OS abstraction that a
> JVM needs.

I tend to disagree with you. The only thing the APR doesn't offer is
GUI abstraction.

> There are no functions to mark pages as executable,

Like Garrett said, those functionality was not needed.
Not sure if it can be added in a portable fashion to APR or
if this should be kept as separate lib.

> scalable IO facilities (IOCP, epoll, kqueue, etc...) or workarounds for
> small diferences on syscalls or libC implementation.

Take a look at:
jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jni
It uses APR in a way the Sun does for it's low level I/O.

On windows, APR currently uses select, but we are discussing to use the
IOCP for quite some time. On other platforms, either poll, epoll or
kqueue are used.

Regards,
Mladen.