harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ozgur Akan <a...@aiqa.com>
Subject Re: Developing Harmony
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 05:56:48 GMT

Jónas Tryggvi Jóhannsson wrote:

> I think that we should go the Java way.. and I really hope that
> JikesRVM will be our starting point!
After reading more about Jikes "A JVM in Java" idea seems to be better
for me then it used to be. I am just anxious about the performance.
Whatever we do and how, we must create a fast JVM. Performance is
everything if Harmony will be used more than educational needs.

"Faster" is a magic word.

> As Mark Brooks says about implement the JVM in Java; "Eating our own
> dog food" has the benefit of forcing us to deal with optimization
> issues that we might otherwise sweep under the carpet.
> But I guess the language will just depend on who donates a JVM.

It can be Jikes, but we shall test it`s performance...

> - Jónas Tryggvi

Ozgur Akan