harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Jónas Tryggvi Jóhannsson <jona...@ru.is>
Subject Re: Developing Harmony
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 03:36:30 GMT

Carlos Fernandez Sanz wrote:

> Jónas Tryggvi Jóhannsson wrote:
>
>>> Question to the floor: if it had to be one of C and C++, which would
>>> you prefer?
>>
>> I can't think of a single reason why C should be preferred over C++.
>> C can simply be viewed as a subset of C++, and as Java users we all
>
> This might be true for newbies but anyone who has used both knows that
> this assertion is very superficial.
> Using C or C++ is, among other things, a design decision.

Well, "beginner" might be the magic word here!

I've had to dig into the Linux code a couple of times when doing
research, and Linux is written in C in Object Oriented fashion. The
Linux code is so obscure for newcomers that they really can't understand
what is going on; all those function pointers that could be virtual
functions in C++ and lack of abstraction really hinders the research
community to participate in my opinion. (and more documentation would be
nice.. a simple wiki updated function by function by the guys that
implement them would be nice!)

In this project we really need the universities with us as they bring
fresh ideas and it would be really useful if they could implement some
of them! I feel that a couple of extra CPU cycles and memory should be
sacrificed so that more people can participate in the project. It
ensures that this project can keep up with new ideas, which in the end
will result in better performance than C gives us. Because of that we
should go with a more high level language.

I think that we should go the Java way.. and I really hope that JikesRVM
will be our starting point!

As Mark Brooks says about implement the JVM in Java; "Eating our own dog
food" has the benefit of forcing us to deal with optimization issues
that we might otherwise sweep under the carpet.

But I guess the language will just depend on who donates a JVM.

- Jónas Tryggvi