harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Stop this framework/modularity madness!
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 02:27:41 GMT
Steve Blackburn wrote:

> However, it is not the either/or situtation you paint above.  I think
> it may make most sense to work on a preexisting donated VM or VMs
> while *concurrently* developing a new VM core or cores from scratch.
> This approach has a number of advantages, including maximizing our
> leverage from existing work, minimizing startup time and accelerating
> the process of building an existing VM.  It also allows us to more
> fruitfully explore some of the implementation choices (which language
> to use, ...).

FWIW there is precedent for that process happening at Apache. Tomcat3
was largely donated by Sun and people hacked on that for a while until
they understood how a newer shinier servlet container could be built.
There was a bit more ruckus involved in this process than was strictly
required but the community seems to have got back on track with tomcat5.
Hopefully some of the old hat Apache peeps can help minimize the heat
during harmonys evolution but this is definetly a good way to proceed IMHO.

> The donated VM or VMs (if they araise) may already be at this point.
> As I have already said, this is a process already underway in the
> Jikes RVM project.

excellent.
--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"Nothing changes your opinion of a friend so surely
     as success - yours or his." - Franklin P. Jones