harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Developing Harmony
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 21:14:33 GMT

> LLVM looks cool, but comes with a wholebunchastuff under different
> licenses embedded in it. A casual inspection suggests we can probably
> work around them, but a closer inspection would be required.

They all looked to be the same with additional copyrights, ie BSD-ish,
with the exception of a stripped down libc which is LGPL. But I'll
respect Leo's rights to not discuss licensing issues :) This means it
should probably be evaluated on its merits.

> I don't really buy this is a drawback, since whatever you choose,
> everybody'll have to learn it.
>
> It would be wrong to assume that everyone involved in this project is
> totally in love with Java :-)

I'd have thought everyone knew it though, or at least wanted to learn
it, given they are implementing, well, Java :)

> I'm pretty sure we want a framework in C/C++, whatever components are
> developed in.
>
> Question to the floor: if it had to be one of C and C++, which would
> you prefer?

If it came down to that, I think C++ for 3 reasons:
- the concepts are a lot closer to Java, which should make most people
feel more comfortable, and should there be any wanting to later write a
component in Java instead or vice-versa, the design structure is less
likely to change
- it would give an opportunity to work with a new incubator project
(should it be accepted)
- you can still use any C APIs in C++, but the reverse is not true (or
at least, not easy).

Cheers,
Brett