harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stu Statman <guru...@att.net>
Subject Re: Apache Harmony / GNU Classpath
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 16:18:40 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On May 16, 2005, at 2:38 AM, Stu Statman wrote:
>
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> the classlibrary is. GNU Classpath is something we are going to work
>>> with now, and sort out the license issues in parallel.
>>
>> Does this mean that the core classes development work will happen
>> within and as part of the GNU Classpath project? Or is there an
>> intent to fork?
>

> Right now, I see nothing else out there, so yah, we can use GNU
> Classpath :)

Would it be possible for someone from the GNU Classpath community ... if
any are on this list ... to give an overview of the status of GNU
Classpath? How complete is it now? How much work do they anticipate it
being to get to 1.5?

I did a quick (a *very* quick) spin around the GNU Classpath site, and
I'm a bit confused by some of the task lists. According to one URL
(http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/tasks.html), they're a few weeks
away from being done; according to another
(http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?group=classpath), there are open tasks
going back years.

It would be nice to get the nickel tour, giving the lay of the land, an
explanation of who the players are, of where volunteers are most needed,
of how 1.5 code gets submitted. I don't think it's in anybody's
interests for a bunch of new devs who don't know the internal culture of
GNU Classpath to storm in and start tromping around.

> I have no intention of forking GNU Classpath. Even if we wanted to, we
> couldn't because of the license.

What is the licensing goal, by the way? Dual licensing under
GPL+Exception and Apache? Or is GPL+Exception "good enough"?

Stu Statman