harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: impatient ;)
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 15:10:13 GMT
Here is my take (with all my hats off):

Patrice Le Vexier wrote:
> Dear all,
> correct me if i'm wrong, but, to make a J2SE platform, we need:
> - a compiler (javac)

let's use eclipse JDT compiler. it rocks, it's fast, has a compatible
license and uses classloaders instead of classpaths (makes it a lot more
flexible and embeddable as a compiler).

> - a JVM (maybe a simple interpreter at first time, then a jit/wat/xxx of the
> death)

Those who have a JVM and want to donate it under the apache license to
seed harmony raise their hands now!

> - class library (classpath as good bet)

Yes, let's go with Classpath.

> - some tools (appletviewer, keytool etc)

I think we need to have "java and javac" the rest will follow when needed.

> - an installer

that's too early :-)

> - ...
> I know we're at the very first stage of the development and a lot of stuff
> are currently actively discussed, but is there nothing of this list we can
> begin to code, maybe just as proof of concept, or to try some solutions ?
> I'm on windows platform, and i can participate to the compiler or even the
> installer ;)

here's a task for those of you who want something to do: wrap the
eclipse JDT compiler and make it look/feel like javac from the command line.

View raw message