harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackburn <Steve.Blackb...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: Introduction, and a question
Date Mon, 16 May 2005 10:12:34 GMT
Take a look at Quicksilver (no longer active).

"The Quicksilver project is exploring novel compilation models for Java.
Our goals are to support deep analysis, aggressive optimization,
testability and control over executables, all in the context of a fully
compliant Java system. Our prototype is implemented within the JalapeƱo
compiler project."

Christian Damsgaard wrote:

> I brought up this idea with Lars Bak (HotSpot architect at Sun back
> then) at a conference some years back when Sun introduced the HotSpot
> VM. The argument back then was that a program mays not execute in the
> same pattern every time and the optimization made previously may no
> longer apply.
> Regards
> Christian Damsgaard
> Brad Cox wrote:
>> Hello. I'm an old-timer with OO languages (Objective-C originator)
>> but a newcomer to open source. I've just signed up to this list
>> because Harmony sounds like something I could really get excited by.
>> I'd welcome suggestions as to how to get started, traps to avoid, etc.
>> I'll start by venturing what I suspect might be a naive question.
>> Java is fast enough once it gets its legs beneath it, but the
>> classloader is giving it a bad rap for speed. That's my impression,
>> not measured fact.
>> Has there been any consideration to stealing an old trick from
>> Smalltalk/Lisp environments...a "restart" option that reloads the
>> dynamic state saved by a previous execution, typically one that has
>> just completed loading an app's classes but before run-specific
>> instances were created?
>> I seems too simple to not have been tried, particularly with such as
>> Peter Deutch involved with the JIT compiler.

View raw message