harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Harmony / GNU Classpath
Date Sun, 15 May 2005 20:34:35 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On May 12, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Mladen Turk wrote:
>
>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>> Then we need to kick out *a lot* of our top level projects.
>>>
>> Can you give an example?
>> I always thought that ASF projects are independent from third-party.
>> At least the board has been advertising that for ages :),
>> and each ASF hosted project needs to comply to that basic rule.
>

> Huh?  This is so incorrect, it's not even wrong....
>
> At least in the Java projects, we use *tons* of third-party code for
> our functionality.

Well, I agree that no man is an island. This would be fine if
the Harmony is going to be the JVM project, rather then J2SE project.

If it will depend for it's core functionality on the code released
by non-ASF license without giving options to use something else, then
it might be perceived as 'just a JVM for GNU Classpath'.
OTOH if it will provide an API for using various classpath
like libraries without providing its own, then it will still
be just an JVM.

Although 'invitation to propose a commit to GNU classpath' sounds fine,
I doubt that such a complex project can be made without a single PMC.

> While certainly not the initiator, Apache Geronimo is the poster  child
> of this, getting core functionality for it's J2EE mission from  outside
> projects such as OpenEJB, ActiveMQ, MX4J, Jetty, etc...

Sure, but think I read somewhere that GNU code can not be part of ASF
project (only not as part of a distribution I think).
So, downloading a J2SE from multiple places?
Not very user friendly thought.

Also for Geronimo you can easily switch to different JMS, JMX or Web
layer without your users being worried weather this is still the same
project.

Perhaps I'm totally wrong and just bringing white noise, but IMHO the
classpath is essential part of any J2SE wannabe project.

Regards,
Mladen.