harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: Developing Harmony
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 14:10:55 GMT
Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
>>    b) Another very different VM (kaffe?)
>>      . amenable to modularization
>>      . amenable to other components (drop in MMTk?)
>
> Of all the options presented so far, what I find most appealing is the
> combination of a VM in Java (like JikesRVM) and a WAT approach like gcj
> or jcvm. In a sense that Harmony could enable either usage scenario,
> more or less like gcj does now. Would you think that MMTk could be used
> in say jcvm? Archie, would that make sense?

Sure.. like someone pointed out, there are already lots of JVM cores
that fill various niches. So one of Harmony's possible strengths could
be its modularity & flexibility. Obviously, it would mean it's not the
fastest VM in every scenario (no VM is) but on the other hand it would
probably end up being the most popular anyway.

In any case, the VM core is only one piece of the puzzle, and if
Classpath is going to be used, then the entire core is basically
going to be swappable anyway. This would be a good thing :-)

The big quantity of work lies in (further) developing the
class libraries...

-Archie