harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 16:05:46 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:
> tetsuo wrote:
>
>> I think this applies to compilers, not virtual machines... I've never
>> heard of a Perl interpreter written in Perl, the same to Python and
>> Ruby.
>

> Well, actually, there's PyPy, and I'm pretty sure there's a Perl
> equivalent.
>
> However, I'm not a fan of self-eating languages in general - it strikes
> me as a language designer's conceit, usually.

Potentially, yes. Althought the best C compiler are all written in C and
  the best java compiler is written in java.

But a compiler and a virtual machine are two different beasts, agreed, a
hybrid between a CPU and an OS.

Now I wonder, what language do CPU designers use to write their
microcode? I strongly doubt they use VHDL/Verilog to define, for
example, their 'branch prediction' logic.

--
Stefano.