harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Against using Java to implement Java (Was: Java)
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 15:59:05 GMT
theUser BL wrote:
> I hope you use C to write the VM for Harmony.
>
> The reason is, that I think, that the best is, if Harmony is nearly 100%
> compatible to Suns Java.
>
> If you write the VM in Java itself, then there existing some problems:
> 1. you need a native-code compiler (like gcj) to create it.

No, a java JVM can run itself, it only need a tiny native bootstrapper.

> And if
> Harmony itself is a native-code compiler it is not 100% compatible to
> Suns JVM.

eh? that is simply not true: the TCK is a functional test not an
architectural one.

> 2. I don't know how you want to create a JNI-Interface for C, if the JVM
> is written in Java.

'written in java' doesn't mean that it doesn't have access to the
underlying OS, it has to. Writing a JVM that needs another JVM to run
would be stupid :-)

> 3. The best would be, if all *.DLL (on Windows) and *.so (on
> Linux/Unix/MacOSX) files are like Suns one. For example: Older J2SEs
> used Symmantecs JITter. And it is possible that there existing firms
> which try to replace also some other parts of Java with its own one. So
> it would be nice, if then Harmony can use this replacements, too.

Modularity is something we aim at for Harmony.

--
Stefano.