harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Harmony / GNU Classpath
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 15:08:12 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Dear Board and Incubator PMC,
>
> Please read the Proposal[1] and the FAQ[2] for Apache Harmony. We'd
> like to use GNU Classpath (pure java) for the class libraries. The
> problems the way i see it is documented in this email[3].

Will something like that make sense at all, even if the license is
acceptable, and you guys figure out all the legal issues.

GNU Classpath is a project of its own, so I wonder how Harmony as an
ASF project can be a project after all if depending on another
project maintained somewhere else?

If the entire code base is not inside Apache CVS/SVN then how this
qualify for a project after all?

IMHO the ASF has much more transparent OS abstraction layer (APR)
then either classpath or any other library has. Also developing that
is less demanding task then JVM/JIT/GC etc... is thought.

Regards,
Mladen.