harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Harmony / GNU Classpath
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 14:25:43 GMT
(harmony specific - back to this list only)

Davanum Srinivas wrote:

>Ben,
>
>Once we get past that problem, we have to get an ok for provining a
>single bundle. I think 2 downloads to get a working JVM (say on M$
>platform) is to say it mildly...crazy.

While it is great to see everyone continue to work through the licensing
issues, and that should definitely continue, I don't see the "2
downloads" as a big issue until there is the other 1 download :)

I believe there will be a fair bit of time to sort out those license
issues, and decide whether to use classpath, use something else, or
write it from scratch/donation between now and when this actually
becomes important.

As I mentioned on IRC the other day, early adopters are not going to
find it a big deal to download a class library separately, and more than
likely they already have rt.jar on their system and can (as I understand
it) quite legally drop that in on their machine to test out the ApacheVM
or whatever it happens to be. I did it the other day with Kaffe when
classpath didn't compile on cygwin. That I can see happening - the
converse, not so.

I realise its kind of early in the life of the project in the wild, but
I think it would be important for there to be some focus on getting
something out sooner, and it seems obvious to me that most of the
interest here is on VM related work so far. To some extent I guess this
is because there isn't a lot of room to innovate in the class libraries,
but I think the point is still valid.

I defnitely think 2 downloads would suck for a final product - but
that's down the track a ways. I understand its going to need a lot of
leg work and will take time, it just (to me) seems like there is a bit
of panic surrounding getting it resolved, where I think the community
would be better off getting focused and working on planning the VM side
of things.

My $A0.02 :)

Cheers,
Brett