harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache Harmony / GNU Classpath
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 13:43:20 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> Dims,
> The current position of the ASF is that all of our software is licensed
> under the Apache License. No dual licensing, no variations, and no special
> exceptions for any of our codebases. This provides our users with a very
> simple model of licensing. Everything is licensed the same way with no
> hidden "gotchas" to trip up users, distributors, developers, VARs, etc.
> This singular licensing model is and will remain in effect. If you would
> like an exception, then you will need to provide a Board resolution to
> make it happen. Given that the Apache License is *very* flexible, I'm
> unclear on what that resolution could propose for change.
> Any resolution will not be deferred to "the next board", but it will be
> discussed and voted upon at a board meeting (May 18th or June 22nd). If
> you believe and require that a vote is needed outside of that, then we can
> make it happen.
> Regarding the bundling of GPL'd software (e.g. Classpath): my
> understanding is that would require the entire package falls under the
> GPL. Even if an exception is made by the authors of the GPL'd software,
> you would still have an ASF package with a mixed license (which is more
> constraining that our Apache License).

Classpath already does have an exception which would permit bundling of
unrelated s/w without the GPL spreading to it.

As I understand it, this at least means that we can combine ALed code
with Classpath (of course, I maintain that we can combine ALed code with
_any_ GPLed code, but the FSF like to disagree), though I agree that our
current policies would prevent us providing it as part of a bundle.