harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Java Security for Harmony
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 12:40:05 GMT
Bob wrote:
>> Ben> Also, curious to know - what about out-of-band verifiers? So, for
>> Ben> example, I verify something on my PC, sign it as verified, then
>> run it
>> Ben> on a Palm, with no verification?
>>
>> My understanding was that there is a new kind of "split verification",
>> where a pre-verifier (or the compiler itself) emits type tables as
>> attributes in the bytecode.
>
> I believe it's known as "Proof Carrying Code" in the literature.  The
> compiler provides a "proof" that the code is "good", and then the JVM
> merely has to verify the proof, rather than constructing it from scratch.

That wasn't the relationship I had in mind, though its also interesting.

Essentially there's a reliance relationship[1] between the interpreter
and the verifier. The interpreter relies on the verifier having done its
job - the usual model is that the confidence that this has happened is
caused by them both running in the same executable, and the code path
being such that the verifier is run first.

What I'm suggesting is that you can have other relationships that
generate the same confidence - such as an external verifier that
signifies that it has done its job by signing the bytecode.

Cheers,

Ben.

[1] By this I mean what is often called a "trust relationship" - but I
prefer to frame these in terms of reliance, trust being a rather woolly
and emotionally loaded term.