harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Class Library Modularity [Was Re: State of the World]
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 07:40:54 GMT
Dmitry Serebrennikov wrote:

>> Well, I can think of one thing I would like, some way for the
>> packages contained in a JAR file be able to inform the underlying
>> runtime not only its external dependencies, but also what it provides
>> (or what it exposes). Due to limitations in the Java
>> visibility/protection rules, sometimes it is not possible to avoid
>> making implementation API public because you are forced to declare
>> classes/methods as public if you need to use them from more than one
>> package.
>

> Woudln't it be great if this was addressed at the language level?
> Something like declaring "friend" packages or something like that.
> Then the public modifier would basically fulfil the need for this kind
> of "provides" or "exposes" declaration?

This could certainly be one way to implement it, but I don't think we
are going to extend the JVM.

> Well, maybe not. If you package a few packages together into a new
> library, each package might have its public interface, but that
> doesn't mean you want those methods as part of your library interface
> too. So the need for "provides" declaration goes beyond the package
> visibility related limitations it seems.

Yes, there are subtle issues here. The benefit of using a JAR
manifest-based approach is that it works with legacy code and does allow
for easier composition of third-party libraries. In theory it may sound
like a good idea to really lock a module down so that outsiders cannot
access its internals, but maybe in reality it would not be good to
completely lock it down. For example, by using a JAR manifest approach,
it is possible for me to develop some extension to a third-party library
that uses its non-public API to improve performance. I could then
package this as a module to properly encapsulate it again. In this way,
I accept the responsibility of using non-public API, but we can still
protect others from accidentally using it.

So, perhaps having two views of a JAR file, one as just a library and
the other as a module, is more flexible. Just a thought.

> Doesn't Eclipse do something like this?

I don't know for sure, but I have heard reports that Eclipse plugins
expose all of their internals.

-> richard