harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackburn <Steve.Blackb...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: Thoughts on VM
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 05:23:14 GMT
Bob Griswold wrote:

>GC efficiency is very different than the speed at which the JVM runs it's GC
>code.

In my experience both the GC algorithm (Bob's "GC efficiency") and the
performance of the key GC code (Dmitry's point) are important.  Having
developed a high performance GC core (Dmitry's point), we have spent
most of our time developing better GC algorithms (Bob's point).  ;-)

However, I think Dmitry's post highlights an important trend.  Memory
performance is very important and architectural trends point to this
becoming more and more the case in the future (the relative cost of a
memory access and the relative advantage of locality is increasing all
the time).

--Steve