harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmitr...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Thoughts on VM
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 04:12:49 GMT
Bob Griswold wrote:

>The performance of the VM doesn't actually matter that much in a
>long-running application. It might make the code generation cycle faster
>(leading to faster start-up time, but not if it takes time to optimize the
>VM) or GC's to happen faster, but the VM code takes up typically less than
>10% (usually far less than 10%) of the overall application performance time,
>so even if you double the performance of the VM, you will only get a small
>improvement in overall application performance.
>
>Bob

I just want to put in my 2 cents here.
 From my experience GC efficiency is the most critical component for
large long-running server applications running on multi-CPU machines.

For the last few years, I've been working with a company that writes and
supports such an application. It runs on 4-way and 8-way Solaris boxes
mostly and services hundreds of concurrent users. The main performance
problems we've seen can all be traced to garbage collection locking down
the whole VM, all 8 CPUs, to do its thing. In fact, the more CPUs, the
faster you end up generating garbage and filling up the heap, and
therefore the more frequent are the GC pauses. This basically kills the
scalability of the VM and an application running on it.

Granted, this was with the 1.3 and 1.4 versions of Sun's VM. I don't
have direct experience with 1.5 to know if the situation has been
improved. I heard that that may be the case. But I was just trying to
point out that GC performance can be very critical of the overall
performance of an application.

This exact problem is documented at the following URL:
http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc/. Notice how the % of time spent in
GC grows with the number of CPUs to the point where it becomes a
dominant factor in the overall performance.

Regards
-dmitry