harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Thoughts on VM
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 01:49:23 GMT
First post so be kind!

I was thinking about this last night after reading some posts.  Current
VM's use JIT or dynamic profiling/performance optimisation techniques to
improve the code running on them, but this only applies to application
code.  Would it be possible to write the VM in such a way as the VM
itself is able to be optimised at runtime?

This would essentially mean that each application would be running on
it's own custom VM.  Ok it's a non-trivial proposition, but with enough
initial thought I'm pretty sure something like this could be written.
Whether or not it's a good idea - well that remains to be seen.

To accomplish this I would think that the majority of the VM would have
to be written in a highly dynamic language (lisp-like) to allow for
run-time modification, with a small core algorithm in C to handle the
optimisation of the VM.  I would also suggest using lisp to write the
basic tools, not because I know lisp inside out, but because it's a
language that fits the problem domain of writing other language
interpreters/compilers extremely well.

Just some thoughts, is this possible/useful?

Kev