harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Backward compatibility
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 20:11:08 GMT
Doug Hall wrote:

> On May 11, 2005, at 11:45 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Deprecated or non deprecated, we want Harmony to pass the TCK, so
>> whatever the TCK wants us to do, we'll do it.
>

> So what's the point? If all you're trying to do is duplicate J2SE 5,
> what advantage is there to making it an open source project? As soon as
> you "improve" something, aren't you're likely to break the API?
>
> Is this really an attempt to get Sun to open source Java?
>
> I'm not trying to be critical or anything. Just wondering what's the point?

The TCK tests the 'functionality' of the underlying JVM, not things like:

  1) speed

  2) portability (java is claimed to run 'everywhere', but in fact, it
runs only on a few operating systems, even fewer for 1.5)

  3) configurability (I might want to tune it differently and, for
example, choose different thread/GC models)

  4) implementation stategy (in macosx, multiple JVMs share 80% of their
memory, and some of Swing is native, therefore feels like the rest of
the OS and it's hardware accelerated)

  5) internal modularity (we want diversity of implementation to drive
innovation in the VM space, both in and out companies and universities)

And, last but not least, if Sun or other vendors that already have JVM
want to stop paying for all that development on their and want to start
sharing the development costs with the java ecosystem in general and
with a clear warranty that we will not try to pollute the stream we all
drink from, therefore want to contribute some of their code to Harmony,
we will welcome them with open arms.

--
Stefano.