harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: I hope the JVM implements most using Java itself
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 13:54:54 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:
> Hm.... I'd consider JIT compilers pretty low-level.
>
> Do you guys really think we can integrate this
> low-level with a higher-level language easily?

Yes, and this brings up an important point: the VM should be designed
to allow code execution to easily transfer between compiled C/C++ code
and JIT'd (or whatever) Java code. This is in some sense already a
requirement anyway because of things like user-defined class loaders.

Then the API's for the various subsystems can be independent of the
language (C/C++ or Java) and therefore implementations of those API's
can be written in either language and more easily evolve over time.

E.g., in JCVM the code generator is written in Java, and is
invoked on demand from within the VM when a new class needs to
be compiled, etc.

-Archie