harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Class Library Modularity [Was Re: State of the World]
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 13:43:13 GMT
Ricky Clarkson wrote:

>I might have misunderstood this thread, but it seems to have some
>relation to ivy, a dependency manager, see
>http://www.jayasoft.fr/org/modules/ivy/overview.php

Yes, this IVY does sound like it is related, but not quite the same
thing. IVY sounds like a component repository that you can use in your
own projects to describe your project's dependency on other projects. In
this case, IVY performs a build-time activity.

It appears that IVY allows you to specify dependencies on other JAR
files and then ensures that these JAR files are present when you build.
Without investigating it explicitly, how would IVY allow you to describe
what is exported from each of the individual JAR files (i.e., their
public API) and how would it enforce this visibility at run time?

I actually have a similar tool (but much simpler) to IVY, called OBR,
that performs deployment-time dependency management for package
dependencies for OSGi bundles. OBR is interesting, but it would not be
as interesting without the OSGi run time underneath of it.

So while tools like IVY and OBR are related to the issue, they are just
a part of it.

-> richard