harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Class Library Modularity [Was Re: State of the World]
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 10:03:13 GMT
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> However, while I agree that Sun's implementation does provide some
> modularity mechanisms, there seems to be two short comings:
>
>   1. The mechanisms themselves do not go far enough, they only provide
>      minimal capabilities.

True but what more do you need at the runtime level?

>   2. They are not used, nor is their use really encouraged.

They are used by a few container APIs (ie mandated in servlet spec and
it was proposed for EJB - not sure if it made it) but because there is
no real support in base runtime no one bothered to use them in regular apps.

> I won't deny that I have a biased point of view, but your point about
> the spaghetti code of the standard runtime is what I am trying to get
> at. It would be nice if Harmony defined some form of modularity
> (preferably a stronger form) and then followed the rules imposed by that
> modularity from the beginning to avoid getting into the spaghetti
> situation.

agreed. But I think that this spagetti-ness stems from the way it is
specified and is not really open to much modification in runtimes - I
could be wrong though.

> I, for one, though, think it is
> possible to do better.

I am sure it is - but someone has to sit down and figure out how ;)

---
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"The power of accurate observation is frequently
called cynicism by those who don't have it."
          - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)