harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Lozano <ferna...@lozano.eti.br>
Subject Re: Windows support
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 14:55:21 GMT
Hi,

You are completely out of context here. We are not creating an open
webserver -- we already have many of them, best of breed and market
leaders. You can use the Apache Httpd, Apache Tomcat, Jboss, Jonas and
others. Microsoft IIS was long left behind. I know this is difficult to
perceive at some companies, but take a look at www.netcraft.com and see
what are the most used webservers on the net.

We already have our very successfull scripting languages, also market
leaders, like PHP and JSP. Our databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird
and others) are not yet the market leaders but they are growing very
fast and getting many former Microsoft or Oracle customers. And all
these are easy to learn, set-up and use. Companies like Google and
Amazon make lots of money using them, vendors like JBoss, MySQL and Red
Hat also have big profits, and there's a very high probability that your
bank uses these also.

But many of the software packages I told you depends on a Java VM to
run. So far the one we use most of the time is not our Java VM, it isn't
a free software Java VM, but a proprietary one made by Sun Microsystem.
This list aims to share the experience of many free software projects
that are creating a Java VM to replace Sun one and so get the result in
a shorter time frame.

So, if you do not develop Java software, you probably are on the wrong
list. :-)

[]s, Fernando Lozano