harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Harmony: project purpose
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 20:50:52 GMT
Anthony Green wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 15:55 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>>I firmly believe that we can form an inclusive community in which
>>everybody who is willing to meet each other half was has an opportunity
>>to participate.
>
> Yes, we've seen this work before...
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-announce/2000/msg00001.html
>
> Cygnus and the FSF were both implementing our own versions of the core
> class libraries.  GNU Classpath was LGPLd at the time.  This was
> unsuitable for Cygnus, who wanted something more like the libgcc or
> libstdc++ license.  In the end, the FSF agreed to change the GNU
> Classpath license and Cygnus assigned copyright of all of our class
> library code to the FSF.  It was a great move for everybody.

Excellent!

I doubt that we know yet what (if any?) change to the GNU Classpath
license would be required, nor even if a copyright assignment from the
ASF would be required (be aware the contributors don't currently assign
copyright to the ASF, instead they grant the ASF a copyright license to
distribute), but it is nice to know that there is precedent here.

Perhaps in this way we can also address the Classpath/APR license issue.

Related reading:
   http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
   http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility

- Sam Ruby