harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: Assembled comments from the web
Date Sat, 07 May 2005 18:39:51 GMT
Tom Tromey wrote:

>Some of the tasks here involve ways to better integrate the class
>libraries with other free software projects:
>
>http://www.peakpeak.com/~tromey/free-java.html

I think adding OSGi implementations to that list would make sense too.

I think the idea of a configurable, modular VM sounds good, but I don't
think the benefits of modularity stops there. I think that an OSGi-like
modularity layer just above the VM could add some benefits for all
applications that are built on top of it.

The libraries that deploy with a JVM could be packaged individually as
modules (e.g., javax.swing), which would make it possible to deploy and
version the modules independently.

Of course, I would really like to push the dynamic/runtime management
aspects offered by OSGi, but this is probably pie in the sky, since it
would be extending J2SE5.

Regardless, I think that building in strong modularity concepts into the
libraries from the beginning is very important. Sun's impl appears to
make all sorts of assumptions about from where it is getting its
classes, make it messy to implement nice modularity layers (like OSGi)
on top of it.

-> richard