harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Lydick" <dlyd...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: timeframe for mid-level decissions
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 21:51:52 GMT

... snip...

> > You might disagree here - but i think that this project is a bit
> > different from other apache projects. Many things completly depend on
> > the initial decisions. So I don't want to see all people waiting for
> > some technical decision to take place and thus deadlock their efforts.
> > At the same the possibily matrix is so huge that you can't take into
> > account every project thats going on. So again: Make some
> > decissions in
> > the next months and go for that. Sure the project is in its infancy
> > - I
> > don't want to push too much.

Not having been involved with other Apache
projects, I don't know how similar or different
that Harmony is, but I _do_ know that it has
an ambitious charter in its own right.  There
are numerous directions that the list's
discussions are going in simultaneously,
and most of them revolve around one component
of the final product, or how two components
interact with each other.

> Right. Where do you stand on current VMs to look at or language?

The question of which major component we
look at first might be viewed from the
final runtime result.  Ultimately, the
project is building J2SE 5, which has
language, class libraries, runtime
environment, and support tools.  Since
ultimately the language and class
libraries are loaded into the runtime
environment, it might behoove us
to define what that is first, then how
the language and class libraries will
work with that to make it happen the
way we want it to.

By concentrating on one or more JVM's to
be donated, we can decide which features
any or all of them should be part of a
Harmony implementation of the JRE, then
design and build one or more JVM deliverables
to meet those requirements.

Once a decision on JVM design(s) has been
made, then certain features the other components
will be automatically established, providing
a finite framework for decisions on their design.
The same with class libraries and tools.

Dan Lydick

> geir
> --
> geirm@apache.org