harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Lydick" <dlyd...@earthlink.net>
Subject [arch] JFM modular structure was: Re: [arch] The Third Way : C/C++ and Java and lets go forward
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

... snip...

> high-level modular structure:
>
> 1.1)   Execution Modules
>             Execution Manager
>             Execution Engine
>             Code generator
>             Profile Collector
>
> 1.2) GC
>
> 1.3) Threading/sync Manager
>
> 1.4) Platform Portability Layer (OS and HW)
>
> 1.5) Class Libraries

I think if we gear our environment toward
GNU Classpath, probably with a "legal-stuff"
wrapper, as has been suggested, then we will
maximize its current potential and learn its
foibles.  With this experience, we can go in
and add-- even extend existing-- functionality
to meet Harmony needs.

For boot classes, etc., we will probably have
all our own stuff due to our chosen design
constraints, and I would not guess that
they supply this anyway.

> 1.6) Platform Accessors
>
> 1.7) VM Accessors
>
> 1.8) VM Core (the hub that glues all the above modules together)
> =20
> How about starting a new thread titled [Modules & Interfaces] to
> discuss a) the definition of the JVM's modules and b) what the
> interface APIs look like?
>
>  -- Weldon

Dan Lydick