harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Lydick" <dlyd...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JikesRVM http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/
Date Sun, 22 May 2005 17:12:59 GMT

http://jikesrvm.sourceforge.net/

> acoliver@apache.org wrote:
> > I disagree with the permise of what you are saying.  Let me say "the
> > wrong thing"
> >
> > 1. There are no open source virtual machines that are presently
> > practical to run high volume production code (yes I know you all run
> > kaffe whatever for XYZ and love it to death, but I mean non-entusiasts
> > would run it too).
> >
> > 2. There are no Java virtual machines period that are presently
> > practical to run high volume production code.
>
> I meant Java virtual machines written in Java...  sorry

Does anyone have any benchmarks on such designs?
As a hard-core real-time and device driver guy,
I am rather skeptical that this is anything else
but a conflict in requirements, runtime performance
in execution speed versus interpretability and/or
compilability of the runtime module.

But then again, I've only been working with Java
at all for less than four years :-)

> > I will start:

I will add the first enhancement:

> > #include<stdio.h>
> >
> > main () {
> >   printf("Harmony JVM version .001\n");

      exit(0); // Your compiler may or may not require stdlib.h

> > }

Dan Lydick