harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Lee Morgan <...@lsol.co.uk>
Subject Re: Java
Date Wed, 11 May 2005 10:01:35 GMT
I worked on a project where we ported a few different VM's to the
cold-fire processor of years back, that may or may not prevent me from
contributing to this project due to IP conflicts (please advise), does
the project intend for the VM to be suitable to run on resource
constrained devices?  and therefore be a suitable platform for the
CLDC.  I know that Linux is being used more and more in embedded
systems and if we focus on small footprint everyone benefits.

I would like to aim big:

Full compliance (J2SE and then J2EE)
Small footprint core written in C
Small number of non portable functions to minimise porting overhead
Plug-gable garbage collectors (one similar to train that uses a swap
file-system for old objects might be nice)
And why not a version that sits at the kernel level like TUX for
maximum performance.
Class libraries implemented in whatever way the contributor would like,
native implementations for some platforms, pure Java where possible.
We could start with pure Java implementations to get something working
and then consider native implementations for the parts that really need
it.

I think the key is for it have as broad appeal as possible, and to suit
as many contributors as possible.

- Lee