harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contributing to project...
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 17:36:50 GMT
On 5/10/05, Daniel Luebke <daniel.luebke@inf.uni-hannover.de> wrote:
> Srinivasan, Padmanahan wrote:
>
> >Who do I contact to contribute to this project ?
> >

> I would find it interesting to see a list containing possible tasks. So
> a by-stander (like me ;-) could figure out , if (s)he can contribute.
>
> Thanks
>     Daniel

(Disclaimer, I'm just another lurker)

I think it's probably a given that subsequent to the announcement,
there'll now be a lot of talk bouncing around on lists, irc,
in-person, phone-calls etc to see who's on board, which bits of code
can be re-used and how best to do that. So:

1) Find out which lego pieces are available
2) Plan how the lego pieces should go together
3) Work out which lego pieces are missing
4) Post task list for missing pieces

That said, given what other mails have said, it looks like there's at
least a 50% chance that GNU Classpath will simply be used (somehow)
and they have a lot of todo-list bits on their site.

http://www.kaffe.org/~stuart/japi/ is an interesting page.

(especially the Classpath vs JDK 1.5 page)

I'm completely guessing, but it would imply that the Sound API,
porting Doug Lea's concurrent API to an open JDK 1.5 equivalent,
various image APIs, some security APIs (kerberos), JMX,
java.lang.instrument/management, a surprising amount of java.math are
all areas in need of definite work. Amongst others.

Obviously some of these are easier to handle than others. JMX will
hopefully be solved by finding a JMX implementation out there to be
involved.

All very much based on deduction, but I think it's pretty fair.

Hen